Kingdom Hearts is the first joint project between SquareSoft and Disney Interactive.This action RPG for the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system cornbines classic Disney characters and worlds with newly introduced characters and environnments created in the renowned SquareSoft style.
* For the first time, multiple Disney characters and worlds co-exist in one interactive product. Over 100 Disney characters appear in the game, including Jafar from Aladdin, Clayton from Tarzan, Hades from Hercules, and The Queen of Hearts from Alice in Wonderland, among others.
* Four new Disney characters designed by Tetsuya Nomura make their debut: Sora, Riku, Kairi and the Heartless.
* Classic Disney characters will appear in fresh new ways. These include new costumes and the characters' ability to to morph into different forms as they take on characteristics of the diverse worlds they visit.
* Disney characters engage in action sequences using movements and behaviors true to their film personas - Peter Pan flies, Tarzan climbs and King Triton swims, among others.
* Integrated voiceovers including actual voices of Disney characters.
* Cameo appearances by Final Fantasy characters including Selphie from FF VIII and Tidus & Wakka from FF X along with other familiar SquareSoft characters.
* Real-time battle system that incorporates innovative new elements with traditional RPG elements found in previous SquareSoft titles.
* Theme song written and performed by Japanese pop artist/singer Utada Hikaru.